Technical Payroll Processes
It is a priority condition of business life and a joint responsibility for all social parties to form a healthy and reliable working environment. 99% of the work places in Turkey consist of SMEs with under 250 employees, and 84% of employees are employed there. What’s actually interesting is, however, that 80% of the work accidents also occur in SMEs.
As can be understood from those data, a regulation has become necessary in our country to involve all employees without distinction of small or big enterprises, public or private sector. Based on such need, the Law on Labor Health and Safety numbered 6331 took effect having obtained the opinion of all social parties.
Implications of the law numbered 6331.
ALL EMPLOYEES ARE TO WORK WITH HEALTH AND SAFETY
- All employees were included within the scope of the law without distinction of public and private sector.
- The number of employees in the work place of the person and the type of the work place shall not prevent benefiting from the law.
- The law shall also be applicable for interns and apprentices.
- Every employee will benefit from the implementations related to labor health and safety.
PREVENTIVE RATHER THAN PRESCRIPTIVE
- The law aims at constant improvement of work places aiming at best conditions in labor health and safety.
- Steps to be taken to prevent a work accident or occupational disease will be essential rather than what to do after a work accident or occupational disease occurs. In this context, the employer shall take measures against possible risks having constantly determined work hazards at all stages of the work along with its employees.
WORK PLACES TO BE CLASSIFIED IN VIEW OF THEIR HAZARD STATUS
- Work places shall be divided into hazard classes for more effective presentation of labor health and safety services.
- In this classification; the feature of the work, materials used or to emerge at all stages of the work, work equipment, production method and forms, working environment and conditions etc. matters shall be taken into consideration.
- Hazard classes shall be determined by the Ministry taking into consideration the original work performed by the work places, in line with a commission involving social parties.
- Only those with work safety expertise certificates of (A) class will be allowed to work in work places included in very dangerous class, with at least (B) class certificate in work places included in dangerous class, and with at least (C) class in work places included under little danger class.
LABOR SAFETY EXPERT AND WORK PLACE PHYSICIAN TO ALL WORK PLACES
- Without regard to the number of the employees or the type of work place, a labor safety expert, work place physician and other health personnel shall be employed in all work places.
- Labor Health and Safety professionals shall be authorized by the Ministry among those with special education who proved their occupational competence with examination.
- The employer him/herself may undertake the labor health and safety service him/herself if bears necessary conditions.
- These professionals shall report to the employer within the scope of their powers. Labor Health and Safety professionals, within the scope of the responsibility, report matters related to labor health and safety to the employer.
- Labor Health and Safety professionals shall apply directly to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security in case of life risks for which necessary measures were not taken by the employer.
IMPLICATIONS FOR THE EMPLOYER
- Improving and sustaining the Labor Health and Safety conditions.
- Taking into consideration suitable for work of employees in terms of health and safety.
- Developing a general prevention policy in view of the risk evaluation reports.
- Taking all kinds of measures including provision of training and information for prevention of occupational risks.
- Conducting necessary control, measurement, examination and researches in the working environment.
- Monitoring, audit and elimination of contradictions.
- Taking necessary measures to preclude entry of the employees into locations with life risk.
- Ensuring coordination in case the same working space is shared by more than one employer.